As the Pancreas-in-Chief around here, my New Year’s resolution for 2013 is this: maintain the status quo. Hey, I kept my daughter alive in 2012, right? Something must be working here.
So, for 2013, I will…
1. Continue to refine my SWAGging skills. As long as foodstuffs don’t have any glaringly excessive sugar content (read: cupcakes with icing stacked two inches high), Bigfoot’s Oreospatial method seems to work pretty well. Try it!
2. Continue overestimating the carb count of oppositional-defiant foods like pizza, Stromboli, and cupcakes-with-two-inch-frosting by at least 20 percent. This strategy seems to help tamp down the 10-hour digestive horror show that follows the consumption of said ODD grub.
3. Continue to make changes to multiple factors when tweaking Maddy’s insulin program. Oh, I know it’s terrible practice. But I don’t have patience for 250+ glucose levels day in and day out. I’m playing hardball here.
4. Continue to bribe Maddy with money and other desired sundries in exchange for her willingness to try infusion sets in previously unexplored real estate.
5. Not feel guilty for barking at the billing representative at Animas when she calls to harass me for payment on supplies for which I’ve already paid. Try looking up our account before calling me, Lady. And no, your apology does not make it all better, when I know you’ll just harass me again after the next shipment.
6. Keep testing Maddy in the middle of the night even when her glucose level at bedtime is in range. No matter how strongly our Endo encourages me to get some sleep. Because when I’ve not tested, we wake up with a sassy 435 glaring from the meter.
7. Reconcile my ambivalence about JDRF. I feel like the unpopular girl on the fringes of the Cool Kids Club. What gives?
8. Figure out a new direction for this blog. Well, maybe.